Seventeen hospitals honored statewide for achieving low rates of health care-associated infections
Harrisburg, PA – Bryn Mawr Hospital and Riddle Hospital are being recognized by The Hospital and Healthsystem Association of Pennsylvania (HAP) for stellar performance ensuring patients’ safety.
The hospitals are among 17 statewide to receive HAP’s Excellence in Patient Safety Recognition for 2021. Now in its third year, the program honors Pennsylvania’s top-performing hospitals that have demonstrated low rates of health care-associated infections.
“We are honored to receive this recognition at Bryn Mawr Hospital as it demonstrates our values and commitment to safety for our staff, patients, visitors, and community,” said John Schwarz, President of Bryn Mawr Hospital. “Thank you to all of our employees and medical staff for their loyalty and dedication in providing the safest and highest quality care to our patients and their families.”
“We are proud to be recognized as a recipient of HAP’s 2021 Excellence in Patient Safety program, as safety is a core value that is deeply embedded in our culture,” said Shelly Buck, President of Riddle Hospital. “Patient safety has always been a top priority at Riddle Hospital and throughout this pandemic, we understand the continued importance to adhere to protocols that protect our patients, families, staff and communities. Thank you to our staff for providing safe, inclusive and compassionate care to our patients.”
HAP identifies the top-performing hospitals using data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Healthcare Safety Network. To be recognized, hospitals must perform better than the mean standardized infection ratio in three key measures: central line-associated bloodstream infections, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, and Clostridioides difficile infections. The program is open to all hospitals across the commonwealth.
“Hospitals across Pennsylvania make delivering safe and high-quality care to all patients their top priority,” said HAP President and CEO Andy Carter. “This recognition honors those hospitals that have taken extraordinary steps to improve patient-safety outcomes, even as they contend with intensified challenges brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.”
The 2021 Excellence in Patient Safety Recognition recipients are:
- Allegheny Valley Hospital (Natrona Heights)
- Bryn Mawr Hospital (Bryn Mawr)
- Einstein Medical Center Montgomery (East Norriton)
- Holy Redeemer Hospital (Meadowbrook)
- Jefferson Torresdale Hospital (Philadelphia)
- Lehigh Valley Hospital–Hazleton (Hazleton)
- Lehigh Valley Hospital–Pocono (East Stroudsburg)
- Meadville Medical Center (Meadville)
- Mount Nittany Medical Center (State College)
- Penn State Health Holy Spirit Medical Center (Camp Hill)
- Riddle Hospital (Media)
- St. Luke's University Hospital - Anderson Campus (Easton)
- St. Luke's University Hospital - Bethlehem Campus (Bethlehem)
- UPMC Lititz (Lititz)
- UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital (Pittsburgh)
- UPMC Williamsport (Williamsport)
- Wilkes-Barre General Hospital (Wilkes-Barre)
Learn more about the Excellence in Patient Safety program online.