After you have been cleared by your doctor, he or she will authorize a hospital discharge. This doesn’t necessarily mean that you are completely well—it only means that you no longer need hospital services.
If you disagree with the discharge decision, you or your caregiver can appeal the decision. If you are a Medicare patient, be sure you are given “An Important Message from Medicare” from the hospital’s discharge planner or caseworker. This details your rights to remain in the hospital for care and provides information on whom to contact to appeal a discharge decision.
Staff from our care management department will work with you and the hospital team to coordinate services for your post-hospital care. Call the care coordination department at:
- Lankenau Medical Center – 484.476.3048
- Bryn Mawr Hospital – 484.337.3036
- Paoli Hospital – 484.565.1206
- Riddle Hospital – 484.227.3724
- Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital – 484.596.5510
Day of discharge
Make sure you have the following information before you leave the hospital:
- Discharge instructions. This is a summary of your post-hospital activity, equipment needs, follow-up appointments, instructions and medications.
- Medications list. This is a listing of what medications you are taking, and why, in what dosage, who prescribed them, and any special instructions for taking them. If you are given a liquid medicine, ask the pharmacist the best way to measure your dose. Having a list prepared by the hospital is a good way to double-check the information you should already be keeping track of. Also make sure you’re aware of any side effects of the medications you’ve been prescribed.
- Prescription for any medications you need. Be sure to fill your prescriptions promptly so you don’t run out of needed medications. Also ask what foods to stay away from while on your medications.
- Follow-up care instructions. Make sure you have a copy of your discharge instructions and you understand them. You should know:
- What signs and symptoms to watch out for
- Telephone numbers to call if you or your caregiver has any questions pertaining to your after-hospital care
Your physician will do his or her best to inform you ahead of time of your date of discharge so that you can make plans to leave the hospital. Please let your nurse or care coordinator know of any issues or problems you may face in planning to leave the hospital. When you are being discharged from the hospital, you will be transported via wheelchair or walked out, accompanied by a staff person to ensure your safety.
Staying at Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital? Learn more about going home from Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital.
If you have been prescribed any new medications, your nurse will review these with you and make sure you understand how much to take and when. If you have any problems getting your prescriptions filled, please ask your nurse for assistance.
Billing and insurance information
Our hospital will bill your insurance carrier for the hospital services that you receive. You may receive a hospital bill for any deductibles, co-insurance or copayments.
Your physician’s bill is separate from your hospital bill. Your attending physician and any consulting physicians will bill you directly. Hospital-based physicians, including anesthesiologists, radiologists, pathologists and emergency department physicians, also will bill you directly. For questions regarding these bills, please call:
- Main Line Emergency Room Physicians – 1.302.273.2247
- Radiology Associates of the Main Line – 1.888.222.8012
- United Anesthesia Services – 1.800.222.1442
- Main Line Pathology Associates – 1.888.625.4685
Main Line Health offers charity care/financial assistance for uninsured patients who do not qualify for Medical Assistance. Eligibility is based on household income and a patient’s household size.
If you have any questions regarding your hospital bill or payment methods, or to speak to a financial counselor about charity care/financial assistance, please call:
- Lankenau Medical Center – 484.476.2128
- Bryn Mawr Hospital – 484.337.8905
- Paoli Hospital – 484.565.1257
- Riddle Hospital – 484.227.3185
- Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital – 484.596.3990
Home health/hospice services
Home health care includes a wide range of health care services provided in your home to maintain or restore your health, promote independence, improve quality of life and avoid unnecessary hospitalization. For immediate service, call 1.888.533.3999 between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm, Monday through Friday, or 7:30 am to 4:00 pm, Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
Patient portal for electronic health records (EHR)
Main Line Health offers a secure, online, hospital patient portal that gives you electronic access to important information included in your medical record, such as lab and radiology results, appointment requests, hospital discharge instructions, and summary of hospital care. Visit mainlinehealth.org/connect to get started.