- Temple University School of Medicine
- Brown University
Memberships & Activities
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, The Society for Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Editorial Board, Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions journal
Dr. Gray has served as principal investigator (PI) for more than 50 clinical trials of coronary, endovascular and structural heart interventions. He often is called upon to consult on development of both device and protocol design for national multicenter clinical trials of experimental devices, which has led to his increasing role as national PI. Dr. Gray has led several clinical studies leading to FDA approval or clearance for new interventional devices.
Dr. Gray has been instrumental in growing the field of endovascular medicine through clinical training program development and oversight. He started the endovascular fellowship program at Swedish Medical Center in 2002 and served as its director for 3 years. He then launched and for 10 years directed the endovascular fellowship program in the cardiology division of Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, where he was an associate professor of medicine.
During his tenure at New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Medical Center, Dr. Gray’s clinical practice encompassed the full range of catheter-based coronary, structural, and vascular diagnostic and therapeutic interventions, including repair of structural heart defects, aneurysm management, and head-to-toe arterial and venous interventions. In addition to directing endovascular services, Dr. Gray ran the mitral valve repair program, was active in the left atrial appendage closure program, and started an interdisciplinary program for management of pulmonary embolism.
- Cost-effectiveness of a Paclitaxel-Eluting Stent (eluvia) compared to Zilver PTX for endovascular femoropopliteal intervention. Gray WA, Griffiths RI, et al. J Med Econ. 2022 Jun 15:1-32.
- Intravascular Lithotripsy for Peripheral Artery Calcification: Mid-term Outcomes From the Randomized Disrupt PAD III Trial. Tepe G, Brodmann M, … Mangalmurti S, … Gray, WA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 19 May 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jscai.2022.100341
- Transcatheter mitral valve implantation in the ongoing structural heart revolution. Sá MP, Ramlawi B, Gray WA, Malin JH, … Sicouri S, Torregrossa G, et al. J Card Surg. 2022 Mar 27. doi: 10.1111/jocs.16431
- Four-Year Patient-Level Pooled Mortality Analysis of the ILLUMENATE US Pivotal and EU Randomized Controlled Trials. Lyden SP, Brodmann M, … Gray W. J Vasc Surg. 2022 Feb;75(2):600-607.
- Conformal Left Atrial Appendage Seal Device for Left Atrial Appendage Closure: First Clinical Use. Sommer RJ, Kim JH, … Gray WA. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2021 Nov 8;14(21):2368-2374.
- Feasibility Study of the Transcatheter Valve Repair System for Severe Tricuspid Regurgitation. Kodali S, Hahn RT, … Gray WA, … Hawthorne K, et al. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021 Feb 2;77(4):345-356
- Early Feasibility Study of Cardioband Tricuspid System for Functional Tricuspid Regurgitation: 30-Day Outcomes. Davidson CJ, Lim DS, … Abramson S, F… Gray WA, et al. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2021 Jan 11;14(1):41-50.
- 24-Month Efficacy and Safety Results from Japanese Patients in the IMPERIAL Randomized Study of the Eluvia Drug-Eluting Stent and the Zilver PTX Drug-Coated Stent. Iida O, Fujihara M, Kawasaki D, … Gray WA, et al. 2021 Jul 7. doi: 10.1007/s00270-021-02901-6
- Preclinical Assessment of a Novel Conformable Foam-Based Left Atrial Appendage Closure Device. Sommer RJ, Lamport R, … Gray WA. Biomed Res Int. 2021 Jun 10;2021:4556400. doi: 10.1155/2021/4556400
- Acoustic shock waves to modify calcific plaques - Intravascular lithotripsy in the peripheral circulation. Karimi Galougahi K, … Gray WA, et al. Cardiovasc Revasc Med. 2022 Apr;37:135-144.
- Device Profile of the Tack Endovascular System® for the Treatment of Peripheral Arterial Disease: Overview of Safety and Efficacy. Vanderland M, Ooi Y, Gray W. Expert Rev Med Devices. 2021 Jun 25. doi:10.1080/17434440.2021.1947243
- Early outcomes from the CLASP IID trial roll-in cohort for prohibitive risk patients with degenerative mitral regurgitation. Lim DS, Smith RL, … Gray W, et al. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2021 May 18. 2021 Oct;98(4):E637-E646.
- Social Media Use and Community-Based Cardiovascular Health-care Professionals: Perception versus Reality. Shakir MA, Singh A, … Gray WA, et al. Heart Views. 2020 Oct-Dec;21(4):276-280.
- Transcatheter Tricuspid Repair With the Use of 4-Dimensional Intracardiac Echocardiography. Davidson CJ, Abramson S, … Gray WA, et al; Cardioband Tricuspid Valve Reconstruction System Early Feasibility Study Investigators. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021 Mar 10:S1936-878X(21)00153-4.
- Feasibility Study of the Transcatheter Valve Repair System for Severe Tricuspid Regurgitation. Kodali S, Hahn RT, Eleid MF, Kipperman R, Smith R, Lim DS, Gray WA, et al. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021 Feb 2;77(4):345-56.
- Early Feasibility Study of Cardioband Tricuspid System for Functional Tricuspid Regurgitation: 30-Day Outcomes. Davidson CJ, Lim DS, Smith RL, … Gray WA, et al. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2021 Jan 11;14(1):41-50.
- Two-Year Efficacy and Safety Results from the IMPERIAL Randomized Study of the Eluvia Polymer-Coated Drug-Eluting Stent and the Zilver PTX Polymer-free Drug-Coated Stent. Müller-Hülsbeck S, Benko A, Soga Y, … Gray WA, et al. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2020 Nov 22. doi: 10.1007/s00270-020-02693-1.
- The impact of chronic kidney disease on outcomes following peripheral vascular intervention. Narcisse DI, Weissler EH, … Gray WA, et al. Clin Cardiol. 2020 Nov;43(11):1308-1316.
- Characteristics and Outcomes of Patients With Diabetes Mellitus Undergoing Peripheral Vascular Intervention for Infrainguinal Symptomatic Peripheral Artery Disease. Weissler EH, Narcisse DI, Rymer JA, … Gray WA, et al. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2020 Oct 23:1538574420968671. doi: 10.1177/1538574420968671.
- Three-Year Outcomes From the LIBERTY 360 Study of Endovascular Interventions for Peripheral Artery Disease Stratified by Rutherford Category. Giannopoulos S, Mustapha J, Gray WA, et al. J Endovasc Ther. 2020 Oct 5:1526602820962972.
- The impact of chronic kidney disease on outcomes following peripheral vascular intervention. Narcisse DI, Weissler EH, Rymer JA, … Gray WA, et al. Clin Cardiol. 2020 Aug 11. doi: 10.1002/clc.23444.
- Zilver PTX peripheral paclitaxel-eluting stent: a technology evaluation. Vanderland M, Gray WA. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2020 Jul 3:1-9.
- Intravascular Lithotripsy for Treatment of Calcified Lower Extremity Arterial Stenosis: Initial Analysis of the Disrupt PAD III Study. Adams G, Shammas N, Mangalmurti S, Bernardo NL, Miller WE, Soukas PA, Parikh SA, Armstrong EJ, Tepe G, Lansky A, Gray WA. J Endovasc Ther. 2020;27(3):473-80.
- Percutaneous Atriotomy for Levoatrial-to-Coronary Sinus Shunting in Symptomatic Heart Failure: First-in-Human Experience. Simard T, Labinaz M, Zahr F, Nazer B, Gray W, et al. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2020 May 25;13(10):1236-47.
- Taking the kidney to heart. Ooi YS, Gray WA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2020 May 1;95(6):1122-23.
- Optimized drug-coated balloon angioplasty of the superficial femoral and proximal popliteal arteries using the Tack Endovascular System: TOBA III 12-month results. Brodmann M, Wissgott C, Brechtel K, Nikol S, Zeller T, Lichtenberg M, Blessing E, Gray W; TOBA III Investigators. J Vasc Surg. 2020 May 12:S0741-5214(20)30330-X. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2020.01.078.
- Tearing into Takotsubo. McNeill G, Gray WA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2020 Feb 15;95(3):492-493.
- The road to support is paved with good interventions: Vascular complications of percutaneous LVAD use. Kreidieh B, Gray WA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2020 Feb;95(2):317-318.
- Effectiveness and Safety of a Paclitaxel-Eluting Stent for Superficial Femoral Artery Lesions up to 190 mm: One-Year Outcomes of the Single-Arm IMPERIAL Long Lesion Substudy of the Eluvia Drug-Eluting Stent. Golzar J, Soga Y, Babaev A, … Gray WA, et al. J Endovasc Ther. 2020 Jan 28: doi: 10.1177/1526602820901723.
- Quality Assurance for Carotid Stenting in the CREST-2 Registry. Lal BK, Roubin GS, Rosenfield K, … Gray W, et al. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Dec 24;74(25):3071-9.
- Treating Post-Angioplasty Dissection in the Femoropopliteal Arteries Using the Tack Endovascular System: 12-Month Results From the TOBA II Study. Gray WA, Cardenas JA, Brodmann M, et al. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Dec 9;12(23):2375-84.
- Gradually closing the loop. Jerud ES, Gray WA. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Nov 15;94(6):843-4.
- Evaluation of a novel mesh-covered stent for treatment of carotid stenosis in patients at high risk for endarterectomy: 1-year results of the SCAFFOLD trial. Gray WA, Levy E, et al. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2019 Nov 11.
- Japanese Patients Treated in the IMPERIAL Randomized Trial Comparing Eluvia and Zilver PTX Stents. Soga Y, Fujihara M, Iida O, … Gray WA, et al. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2019 Nov 5.
- Mortality Assessment of Paclitaxel-Coated Balloons: Patient-Level Meta-Analysis of the ILLUMENATE Clinical Program at 3 Years. Gray WA, Jaff MR, Parikh SA, et al. Circulation. 2019 Oct;140(14):1145-1155.
- Multivariable Analysis of Patients With Severe Persistent Postprocedural Hypotension After Carotid Artery Stenting. Oshin O, Varcoe R, Wong J, … Gray W, et al. J Endovasc Ther. 2019 Aug 21 doi: 10.1177/1526602819869929.
- Factors influencing credentialing of interventionists in the CREST-2 trial.Lal BK, Meschia JF, Roubin GS, … Gray W, et al.J Vasc Surg. 2019 Jul 25. pii: S0741-5214(19)31449-1.
- Dissections After Infrainguinal Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty: A Systematic Review and Current State of Clinical Evidence. Armstrong EJ, Brodmann M, Deaton DH, Gray WA, et al. J Endovasc Ther. 2019 Aug;26(4):479-89.
- Pushing Pause on the Paclitaxel Debate: Applying Appropriate Scientific Inquiry and Publication Processes to Inform Clinical Decision-Making. Gray WA, Olin JW. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019 Jun 4;73(21):2775-9.
- One-Year Results of the LIBERTY 360 Study: Evaluation of Acute and Midterm Clinical Outcomes of Peripheral Endovascular Device Interventions. Mustapha J, Gray W, Martinsen BJ, et al. J Endovasc Ther. 2019 Apr;26(2):143-54.
- Design and rationale of a randomized noninferiority trial to evaluate the SurVeil drug-coated balloon in subjects with stenotic lesions of the femoropopliteal artery - the TRANSCEND study. Elmariah S, Ansel GM, Brodmann M, Doros G, Fuller S, Gray WA, et al. Am Heart J. 2019 Mar;209:88-96.
- A First-in-Human Evaluation of a Novel Mesh-Covered Stent for Treatment of Carotid Stenosis in Patients at High Risk for Endarterectomy: 30-Day Results of the SCAFFOLD Trial. Schneider PA, Levy E, Bacharach JM, … Gray W. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Dec 10;11(23):2396-2404.
- WIRION Embolic Protection System in Lower Extremity Arterial Interventions: Results of the Pivotal WISE LE Trial. Shammas NW, Pucillo A, Jenkins JS, … Gray W. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2018 Oct 8;11(19):1995-2003.
- A polymer-coated, paclitaxel-eluting stent (Eluvia) versus a polymer-free, paclitaxel-coated stent (Zilver PTX) for endovascular femoropopliteal intervention (IMPERIAL): a randomised, non-inferiority trial. Gray WA, Keirse K, Soga Y, et al. Lancet. 2018 Oct 27;392(10157):1541-1551.
- Indications for the Performance of Intracranial Endovascular Neurointerventional Procedures: A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association. Eskey CJ, Meyers PM, … Gray WA, et al. Circulation 2018;137:e661–e689.
- Randomized Comparison of Percutaneous Repair and Surgery for Mitral Regurgitation: 5-Year Results of EVEREST II. Feldman T, Kar Saibal, Elmariah S, … Gray WA, et al. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;66(25):2844-54.
- Randomized Trial of Stent versus Surgery for Asymptomatic Carotid Stenosis. Rosenfield K, Matsumusa JS, Chaturvedi S, … Gray W, et al. N Engl J Med. 2016;374(11):1011-20.