The Lankenau Institute for Medical Research has established an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) that oversees the institution's animal program, facilities, and procedures. Federal and accreditation requirements along with internal policy require IACUC review prior to conducting research that involves animals. It is the responsibility of the Principal Investigator (PI) to submit the proposed research to the IACUC for approval before the research has begun. Research may not begin until the study protocol has been reviewed and approved by the IACUC.
There are many sites that contain valuable information about conducting animal research. Below are links that will connect you with additional information to help guide you in the conduct of your research.
- AAALAC – Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care. Independent organization that accredits animal care and use programs.
- APHIS – Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Component of the USDA that administers the Animal Welfare Act. Within APHIS, Animal Care (AC) is the agency that is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Animal Welfare Regulations.
- AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals: 2020 Edition (PDF)
- AWA – Animal Welfare Act and Regulations. Federal law regulating the use, sale, and handling of animals, as well as the USDA regulations that implement the Animal Welfare Act.
- FDA – Food and Drug Administration.
- Good Laboratory Practices for Nonclinical Laboratory Studies – Applies to nonclinical safety assessment studies.
- OLAW – Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare. NIH office with responsibility for implementation of the PHS Policy on the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (PDF).
- OLAW Tutorial on the PHS Policy on the Human Care and Use of Laboratory Animals.
- PHS – Public Health Service. Component of the Department of Health and Human Services that includes eight different agencies.
- USDA – United States Department of Agriculture. Federal agency responsible for implementation and enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act.
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (PDF) – Manual of standards for animal care and use developed under the auspices of the Institute for Laboratory Animal Research.
- What Investigators Need to Know About the Use of Animals (PDF) – NIH Publication summarizing the PHS policy on the Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals for Principal Investigators planning to use live, vertebrate animals for research, research training or biological testing PHS Guide.
- Guidelines for the Care and Use of Mammals in Neuroscience and Behavioral Research (PDF)
- ARENA/OLAW IACUC Guidebook, 2002 (PDF)
- APS Resource Book for the Design of Animal Exercise Protocols (PDF)
- Biosafety in Microbiological & Biomedical Laboratories from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (PDF)
The IACUC Is qualified through the experience and expertise of its members to oversee the institution’s animal program, facilities, and procedures.
Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Membership Fiscal Year 2023
- John Wellenbach, Business Manager (non-scientist)
- Matt Finley, PhD, MBA Chair, Director, Research Administration
- Judith Daviau, DVM, Consulting Veterinarian
- Jack Medendorp, MS, BSN, RN, CIP, Director, Office of Research Protections (Voting Member)
- Lauren Merlo, PhD, Research Asst. Professor
- Bence Patocskai, PhD, Research Professor
- Fetweh Al-Saleem, DVM, PhD, Research Asst. Professor
- Bridgett Scott (non-affiliated)
- Anthony Ashton, PhD, Adjunct Professor (Alternate Member)
2023 LIMR IACUC Meeting Dates and Submission Deadlines
Time: 2:00 PM
Location: MS Teams (Unless otherwise noted)
|Meeting Dates||Submission Deadlines|
*Please note that bolded dates do not fall on the 3rd Monday of the month due to holiday schedules.